2021/22 VETS Tournament RULES
- ENTRY AGE : Players must be age 55+ at the start of tournament. Tournament starts 18th March 2022.
- VETS Doubles will be either same sex or mixed. Pairings will be selected to provide fair and even matches. A handicap system will be in play for ALL matches to ensure everyone plays to the same rules and is given a fair chance of success.
- The Tournament is played over the spring & summer months with the final being played on Friday September 2nd early evening. Prizes and trophies will be awarded during the Friday Night BBQ sit down meal.
- Play by dates: Last 32: 27 May, Last 16 : 24 June, Qtrs : 30 July, Semis: 26 August
- Matches will be the best of 3 sets, and each set will be the best of 9 games (i.e. the first to win 5 games wins the set).
- At each set both pairings start a zero.
- All matches to apply handicap system.
- If matches are not completed by the play by dates then a coin toss will decide which player/pair go through to the next round.
- Finalists must be available to play on the FINALS evening Friday 2/9/22 at 5pm. Should a player pull out for whatever reason (injury/unable to play/holidays etc) then the previous semi finalist that was knocked out will be reinstated.
The handicap is very simple to operate:
- If you and your partner win the first game, the next game starts at 0-15 (ie your opponents have a 15 point start, however, should you and your partner lose, you will have a 15 point start in the next game.
- If you lose two successive games, you start the following game with a 30 point start, and continue starting with 30 points until you win and then it drops to 15 etc...
- To avoid total confusion serving with a points start is always from the appropriate side for the point being played ie deuce side for 0 and 30, and advantage for 15.
- The maximum points start is 30
To try to get the matches played in a timely manner there will be a play by date for each round. If any matches are not played on time the ‘seeding committee’ will choose the pair to go forward from previous results or a coin toss.
You can book courts beyond the 7 day rule HERE (scroll to bottom of the page)